County officials, firefighters and other volunteers fanned out across the San Diego region today to teach members of the public what to do if they become bystanders as someone nearby collapses from cardiac arrest.
County officials said that about a quarter of those who suffer a heart attack at home, work or in public receive cardiopulmonary resuscitation from someone nearby. The county Health and Human Services Agency and more than 20 other agencies worked to increase that number by hosting "Sidewalk CPR" training classes at more than 30 locations throughout the region.
The classes on hands-only CPR will be offered as part of National CPR Awareness Week. The American Heart Association now recommends a CPR procedure without using mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
"Hands-only CPR is safe and effective and it only takes about five minutes to learn," county Public health Officer Dr. Wilma Wooten said.
More than 1,500 county residents die from sudden cardiac arrest each year, authorities said.
During last year's Sidewalk CPR classes, nearly 2,600 people were trained to do hands-only CPR. Officials with Heartland Fire & Rescue said this year's goal was to train 3,500 Southern California residents.
Heartland Fire & Rescue personnel trained area residents at El Cajon, La Mesa and Lemon Grove city halls this morning at 9 a.m. An hour later, fire personnel trained bystanders at shopping centers at Parkway Plaza in El Cajon, Grossmont Center in La Mesa and at Albertson's at 7090 Broadway in Lemon Grove.
Free training was also be provided at several other locations,
- HHSA Health Complex, 3851 Rosecrans Street, San Diego
- 5550 Oberlin Drive, San Diego
- San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego
- Building 1, 937 N. Harbor Drive, San Diego
- Silver Wing Elementary, 3730 Arey Drive, San Diego
- MCAS Miramar Commissary/Exchange
- YMCA, 1201 Paseo Magda, Chula Vista
- Chula Vista Learning Community Charter School, 590 K Street, Chula Vista
- Scripps Well Being Center, 311 Del Mar Avenue, Chula Vista
- Plaza Bonita, 3030 Plaza Bonita Road, National City
- the Main Gate Exchange, Commissary 21 Area and 51 Area Library at Camp Pendleton
- Steele Canyon High School, 12440 Campo Road in Spring Valley
- 21610 Crestline Road on Palomar Mountain
- 34884 Lilac Extension Road in Pala
- Carlsbad Fire Department, 3100 Block of Carlsbad Boulevard
- Westfield El Camino Mall, 2525 El Camino Real, Carlsbad
- Tri-City Wellness Center, 6250 El Camino Real, Carlsbad
- Tri-City Medical Center, 4002 Vista Way, Oceanside
- Oceanside Pier's upper and lower levels, 301 The Strand North
- Coronado Rotary Plaza, intersection of Isabella Avenue, Park Place and Orange Avenue
- Vons, 13439 Camino Canada, El Cajon
- Ralphs, 10525 4S Commons Drive, in Rancho Santa Fe
- Starbucks, 9760 Wintergardens Blvd., Lakeside
- Albertson's, 1133 S. Mission Road, Fallbrook
- Major Market, 845 S. Main Street, Fallbrook
- Daniel's Market, 5256 S. Mission Road 701, Bonsall