Updated: 4:05 p.m. Friday with list of streets affected by the boil water advisory attached to this story.
A precautionary boil water advisory issued Thursday after pump station failures during a massive power outage that affected the entire county remains in effect for parts of Rancho Bernardo even though power has been restored.
The advisory applies to residents who live:
- Rancho Bernardo – East of Interstate 15, north of Bernardo Heights Parkway, west of City of San Diego boundary, south of Rancho Bernardo Road.
- Rancho Bernardo – East of Pomerado Road, south of Paseo Del Verano, west of City of San Diego boundary, north of Rancho Bernardo Road.
- Lists of streets affected in Rancho Bernardo and Carmel Mountain Ranch are attached to this story as PDFs.
"Tests will be done at 30 sampling sites over the next 24 hours to ensure no contamination occurred as a result of the drop in water pressure due to power outages at two pump stations. Expect this order to last until early Sunday," the advisory stated.
Sanders also says that refrigerator ice makers should be turned off in the advisory zone.
Here's what to do, according to county officials:
Bring all water to a boil, let it boil for one minute, and let it cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking and food preparation until further notice. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.
The Bernardo Heights Community Center is still open to swimmers, after the pools underwent safety testing, said manager Karen Ekegren. Contractors came by to test the water just after the power went out and make sure the pumps were off around 4 p.m. Thursday, she said. The water was tested again Friday morning before the center opened, she said. Water fountains within the center, however, have been blocked off and signs are posted telling residents not to use them, she said.
Stay tuned to Patch for updates.
Other areas affected by the advisory (to see lists of specific streets, see here.)
- Carmel Mountain Ranch – East of Interstate 15, south of Ted Williams Parkway, west of City of San Diego boundary, north of City of San Diego boundary
- College Area/College Grove – South of Interstate 8, east of Fairmount Avenue and 54th Street, north of state Route 94, west of 70th Street
- La Jolla – West of Interstate 5, north of La Jolla Parkway, south of Foothill Boulevard
- North City/Flower Hill – North of Villa de la Valle, east of Interstate 5, west of City of San Diego boundary
- Otay Mesa – North of state Route 905, east of Interstate 805, west of Brown Field, south of City of San Diego boundary
- San Carlos – East of Golfcrest Drive, north of Navajo Road, east of Lake Murray Reservoir, west of City of San Diego boundary
- Scripps Ranch – North of Lake Miramar Reservoir, south of Scripps Parkway, west of City of San Diego boundary, east of Interstate 15.
- Scripps Ranch/Stonebridge – South of City of San Diego boundary, north of Maple Grove Lane, west of City of San Diego boundary, east of Stronebridge Parkway
- Tierrasanta – South of state Route 52, west of City of San Diego boundary, east of Santo Road, north of Clairemont Mesa Boulevard