We’ve reached the end of summer and it’s time to celebrate the first weekend of fall. Friday marks the first day of autumn and the weekend forecast promises cool weather with some clouds to boot. Enjoy the new season with some fun events and activities for you and the family. We’ve got the best bets, near and far, listed below.
This weekend, Sept. 23-25, get out in Rancho Bernardo and make some crafts with the kids, enjoy the benefits of Restaurant Week and take an art studio tour where you’ll travel around town to see local artists’ masterpieces. Poway has a two-day rodeo happening that’s worth visiting.
Looking for some travel time? Head over the hill to Ramona for an airport open house and check out cool and rare planes, head west to UCSD for a comical concert or head south to Santee for a bluegrass and wine festival and Coronado for a Fleet Week activity. Point Loma is hosting the San Diego County Beer Fair on Saturday.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: , 16955 Bernardo Oaks Dr., San Diego, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Travel around Rancho Bernardo (and Poway) and visit over 20 local award-winning artists at nine different locations. You’ll get a map and directions and spend the day browsing local masterpieces.
- Price: $10.
- When/where: 4S Ranch Library, 10433 Reserve Dr., San Diego, 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Friday.
- Why go: Take your preschoolers to this craft time with Mrs. Z and have them learn valuable skills they’ll need for kindergarten.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: Poway Valley Riders Association Grounds, 14336 Tierra Bonita Rd., Poway, 7:30 p.m. Friday (gates open at 6 p.m.); 1 p.m. Saturday (gates open at 11:30 a.m.)
- Why go: It’s the Poway Rodeo! Visit the show for some roping, steering, bareback riding and more.
- Price: $5-$53.
- When/where: El Bizcocho at , 17550 Bernardo Oaks Dr., San Diego, 6-9 p.m. Thursday and Friday.
- Why go: Enjoy the last two days of restaurant week. Eat up the yummy three-course meal El Bizcocho is offering during this foodie fest.
- Price: $40 for a three-course prix fixe menu.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: Ramona Airport, 2926 Montecito Rd., Ramona, 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Enjoy Ramona Airport’s 54th annual Open House and check out airplanes from WWII, experimental planes, helicopters and more. “Big Jimmy,” a 1939 Fire Truck that was built for La Mesa Fire Department will also be on display. Food will be available for purchase.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: The Loft at , 9500 Gilman Dr., La Jolla, 8 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Watch Garfunkel & Oates, two girls from Pennsylvania that act, sing and provide lots of laughs while they do it.
- Price: $6-$20.
- When/where: , intersection of Riverwalk Drive and Cuyamaca Street, Santee, 5:30-9:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Enjoy life’s simple pleasures at this Bluegrass and Wine Festival. Sip on wine, munch on cheese, and tap your foot to some twang. A silent auction will also be held.
- Price: $35.
- When/where: , North Island Naval Complex, Coronado, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: See cars race and wind their way around the naval base at this Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival.
- Price: $25-$150.
- When/where: 2750 Womble Rd., San Diego, noon-4 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: It’s the San Diego County Beer Fair, where you can sample 12 beers, taste samples of food, meet brewers and more.
- Price: $35-$50.