Liquid-Nitrogen Ice Cream. CSI Meets CSU. Dolphins and You. Intrigued? Have a child who might be, too? Then a big festival kick-off this weekend might be for you.
Your choices, near Rancho Bernardo and in San Diego, include the San Diego Science Festival, a jam-packed week of activities celebrating every aspect of science you could imagine. The ice cream, CSI and dolphin questions all will be tackled at San Diego State University on Saturday.
Other events include a concert and chances to get up close with nature and some skilled extreme-sports stars.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- Where/when: Blue Sky Ecological Reserve, Poway, 8:30-11 a.m. Sunday.
- Why Go: Discovery Tables will be set up at the center so kids of all ages can see and feel skins, skulls, tracks and insect specimens.
- Price: Free.
- Where/when: The Church at Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Bernardo, 7 p.m. Friday.
- Why Go: Mary James, an inspirational country artist, performs and records a CD.
- Price: Free.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- Where/when: Casa del Prado Theater, Balboa Park, San Diego, Thursday through Sunday.
- Why Go: San Diego Junior Theatre wraps up two productions this weekend: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and The Fantastic Mr. Fox.
- Price: $8-14.
- Where/when: Balboa Park, San Diego State University and various sites, San Diego, 9 a.m., Saturday.
- Why Go: To encounter all manner of science demonstrations and experiments at the sprawling San Diego Science Festival, which continues through March 26 at several area venues. To begin, SDSU hosts a day of engineering feats at 9 a.m. Balboa Park's Science Family Day, at museums and other areas in the park, starts at 11 a.m.
- Price: Free at SDSU, varies at other sites.
- Where/when: YMCA Krause Family Center Skate & Bike Park, San Diego, 11 a.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: Join with the top names in skateboarding and BMX riding at the Clash at Clairemont, a benefit for cancer patients and their families. Watch pros and amateurs try tough stunts and pick up some freebies to boot.
- Price: Minimum $10 donation.